UAMS ADMINISTRATIVE GUIDE
|AREA:||TRAVEL AND REIMBURSEMENT|
|SUBJECT:||TRAVEL ADVANCE REQUESTS|
The purpose of this policy is to notify departments within the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) of the procedure for requesting advance payment for anticipated expenses to be incurred while traveling on official state business.
Due to the availability of the Arkansas Agency Travel Card (also known as the VISA Corporate Card), travel advance payments are generally no longer necessary. However, Travel Advance Requests may be warranted for employees who have not applied for or received an Arkansas Agency Travel Card; for employees lodging where the Arkansas Agency Travel Card is not accepted; or for the employees traveling to a foreign country
(1) Employees requesting advance payment for expenses to be incurred while traveling on official state business must complete and submit a Request for Travel Advance form to the Travel Office for approval and processing. This form is to be submitted with the employee’s Request for Travel Authorization.
(2) Request for Travel Advance forms must be submitted to the Travel Office no later than five working days prior to scheduled departure.
(3) Upon approval of Request for Travel Advance, checks will available for pickup in the Treasurer's Office no earlier than two days prior to the scheduled departure.
(4) Advance payment for anticipated expenses shall be considered a loan to the individual, as is clearly stated on the Request for Travel Advance form. In signing for the funds on the bottom of the Request for Travel Advance form, the individual agrees to pay back the advance on a timely basis.
(5) Employees failing to reimburse UAMS for travel advance payments within 5 days after returning to work may be subject to a withholding from their paycheck.
(6) Obtaining a Travel Advance does not relieve the traveler from filing a Travel Expense Reimbursement Request in SAP upon completion of travel.
(7) Travel Advances are computed
at the rate of 50% of the total anticipated travel expenses that have not been
prepaid by UAMS in the following categories:
c) Anticipated taxi fares
1 UAMS Procedure 8.4.02, Credit Cards
2 UAMS Procedure 8.4.05,Travel Expense Reimbursement
REQUEST FOR TRAVEL ADVANCE INSTRUCTIONS
The Request for Travel Advance must be completed and forwarded to the Travel Office for approval and processing. Submit this form with the Request for Travel Authorization. If the Travel Advance is approved the applicant must sign the lower portion of the form in the Treasurer's Office.
COMPLETING THE FORM
(1) Applicant: Enter the name of the person requesting the travel advance.
(2) Date: Enter the date that this request is made.
(3) Department: Enter the name of the department initiating the request.
(4) Fund & Fund Center: Enter the Fund and Fund Center to be charged for the expenses.
(5) Telephone: Enter the telephone number of the person initiating the request.
(6) Travel Dates: From/To: Enter the date on which the travel period is to begin and the date on which the travel is to end.
(7) Travel to: Identify the city to which the employee will be traveling.
(8) 72 Hours/Hardship: Check the appropriate space determining sufficient reason for making a Travel Advance Request. If the reason is due to hardship, include a brief statement of explanation. If the traveler holds an Arkansas Agency Travel Card, state the reason(s) why a Travel Advance is necessary.
(9) Applicant/Date: Enter the signature of the requesting employee and the date signed.
(10) Approval Recommended: Obtain the signature of your Department’s Travel Administrator before forwarding to the Travel Office.